Privacy Officer – means the individual designated responsibility for ensuring that IAsbestos Removal Brisbane complies with this policy and PIPA.
Collecting Personal Information
- Unless the purposes for collecting personal information are obvious and the client, customer, member voluntarily provides his or her personal information for those purposes, we will communicate the purposes for which personal information is being collected, either orally or in writing, before or at the time of collection.
- We will only collect client, customer, member information that is necessary to fulfill the following purposes:
IAsbestos Removal Brisbane collects personal information. Examples of purpose statements, which may or may not be applicable to your organization, include:
- To verify identity;
- To identify [client, customer, member] preferences;
- To understand the [financial, banking, insurance] needs of our [clients, customers, members];
- To deliver requested products and services
- To enrol the client in a program;
- To send out association membership information;
- To ensure a high standard of service to our clients
- To meet regulatory requirements;
Knowledge or consent in the following limited circumstances:
- When the collection, use or disclosure of personal information is permitted or required by law;
- In an emergency that threatens an individual’s life, health, or personal security;
- When the personal information is available from a public source (e.g., a telephone directory);
- When we require legal advice from a lawyer;
- For the purposes of collecting a debt;
- To protect ourselves from fraud;
- To investigate an anticipated breach of an agreement or a contravention of law disposal or similar risks.
We will use appropriate security measures when destroying client’s, customer’s, member’s personal information such as [Fill in destruction methods your organization employs. Examples may include: shredding documents, deleting electronically stored information].
We will continually review and update our security policies and controls as technology changes to ensure ongoing personal information security.
Providing Clients, Customers, Members Access to Personal Information
- Clients, Customers, Members have a right to access their personal information, subject to limited exceptions.
- A request to access personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information being sought.
- Upon request, we will also tell clients, customers, members how we use their personal information and to whom it has been disclosed if applicable.
- We will make the requested information available within 30 business days, or provide written notice of an extension where additional time is required to fulfill the request.
- A minimal fee may be charged for providing access to personal information. Where a fee may apply, we will inform the client, customer, member of the cost and request further direction from the client, customer, member on whether or not we should proceed with the request.
- If a request is refused in full or in part, we will notify the client, customer, member in writing, providing the reasons for refusal and the recourse available to the client, customer, member.
Questions and Complaints:
The Role of the Privacy Officer or designated individual
- The Privacy Officer or designated individual is responsible for ensuring IAsbestos Removal Brisbane’ compliance with this policy and the Personal Information Protection Act.
- Clients, Customers, Members should direct any complaints, concerns or questions regarding IAsbestos Removal Brisbane’ compliance in writing to the Privacy Officer. If the Privacy Officer is unable to resolve the concern, the client, customer, member may also write to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia.
- Contact information for IAsbestos Removal Brisbane’ Privacy Officer or designated individual:
Address: 98 Lyon Street, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Phone: 07 3000 4000
Using and Disclosing Personal Information
- We will only use or disclose client, customer, member personal information where necessary to fulfill the purposes identified at the time of collection [or for a purpose reasonably related to those purposes such as:
- Fill in any related purposes for which your organization uses or discloses personal information. Examples that may be applicable to your organization, include:
- To conduct client, customer, member surveys in order to enhance the provision of our services;
- We will not use or disclose client, customer, member personal information for any additional purpose unless we obtain consent to do so.
- We will not sell client, customer, member lists or personal information to other
Retaining Personal Information
- If we use client, customer, member personal information to make a decision that directly affects the client, customer, member, we will retain that personal information for at least one year so that the client, customer, member has a reasonable opportunity to request access to it.
- Subject to policy 4.1, we will retain client, customer, member personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the identified purposes or a legal or business purpose.
Ensuring Accuracy of Personal Information
- We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that client, customer, member personal information is accurate and complete where it may be used to make a decision about the client, customer, member or disclosed to another organization.
- Clients, Customers, Members may request correction to their personal information in order to ensure its accuracy and completeness. A request to correct personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information and the correction being sought.
- If the personal information is demonstrated to be inaccurate or incomplete, we will correct the information as required and send the corrected information to any organization to which we disclosed the personal information in the previous year. If the correction is not made, we will note the clients’, customers’, members’ correction request in the file.
Securing Personal Information
We are committed to ensuring the security of client, customer, member personal information in order to protect it from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or
- We will obtain client, customer, member consent to collect, use or disclose personal information (except where, as noted below, we are authorized to do so without consent).
- Consent can be provided IAsbestos Removal Brisbane: e.g., orally, in writing, electronically, through an authorized representative] or it can be implied where the purpose for collecting using or disclosing the personal information would be considered obvious and the client, customer, member voluntarily provides personal information for that purpose.
- Consent may also be implied where a client, customer, member is given notice and a reasonable opportunity to opt-out of his or her personal information being used for mail-outs, the marketing of new services or products, fundraising and the client, customer, member does not opt-out.
- Subject to certain exceptions (e.g., the personal information is necessary to provide the service or product, or the withdrawal of consent would frustrate the performance of a legal obligation), clients, customers, members can withhold or withdraw their consent for IAsbestos Removal Brisbane to use their personal information in certain ways. A client’s, customer’s, member’s decision to withhold or withdraw their consent to certain uses of personal information may restrict our ability to provide a particular service or product. If so, we will explain the situation to assist the client, customer, member in making the decision.
- We may collect, use or disclose personal information without the client’s, customer’s, member’s